Monday, June 23, 2008

So Long, George...



Sad to hear that George Carlin passed away today. I can't say I was a huge fan, being more of a Bob Newhart man myself, but I certainly liked his odd, cerebral musings throughout his many televised appearances . Seems to me, I first became aware of him on shows like "Flip Wilson" at the beginning of the 70's. He'd already made a name for himself on TV appearing on "The Ed Sullivan Show", and on these early TV guest spots he had to keep his act clean. A few years later, my friends and I chortled over his bluer material that could be found on his comedy albums, but I must admit, I preferred his odd takes on various subjects more than his infamous "Seven Things You Can't Say on TV". I'm hardly a prude, but shock value humour just gets tedious I think. I don't really follow contemporary comics for that reason.

I'd almost forgotten about this caricature I'd done of George Carlin, as it must date back to around 1979 or so. I recall the circumstances were that he was appearing in concert in my hometown of Ottawa. My friend, Bryan Stoller, also about 19 or 20 at the time, somehow had finagled a chance to interview George for something or other, being quite the enterprising type, and he asked me if I could draw a caricature that he could present to him. I agreed, provided he get a second one I inked up autographed for me. So, though I can't claim to have met George Carlin personally, I did get a signed caricature as a keepsake. Looking back at the art itself, it sure is an unpolished piece. I think my inking has improved a lot in the many years since.

So long, George - I hope you were able to take all your stuff with you...

(PS: I dedicate this post to George Carlin fan, Trevor)

No comments:

Post a Comment