Thursday, August 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Gene Kelly!


This is just a simple dedication to the late, great Gene Kelly, who was born this day in 1912. These are a couple of pieces I did about 7 years ago or more for wall hangings at a Paris themed ballroom dancing event I took part in. I figured what would make a more appropriate decoration than an image from the classic musical, "An American in Paris", starring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron, especially since it ranks up high on my list of favourite films. These figures stand about two and a half feet tall, brush inked on poster board and painted with transparent concentrated watercolours. They currently are just tacked to my wall here in my den at home, along with all sorts of movie-related collectibles.

In retrospect, I think I drew Gene's hands a little bit big, but other than that I still kind of like it. The caricature of Leslie Caron I still like a lot, and I would really like to try making a little sculpture based on this art. Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to post this today. Happy Birthday Gene - we miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment