Sunday, July 1, 2007

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea


Here's a drawing I did about 15 years ago, I think. It was done originally for a newsletter regarding all things Disney that I used to contribute to back then. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" is one of my favourite Disney live-action films. This is the type of film that I wish the Studio would do more of today with the kind of flair they used to be capable of. I suppose it isn't even possible anymore, though, as the look of that era of filmmaking was achieved through different means back then. Instead of the computerized imagery that supplements so much of today's epic films, back then they relied primarily on the skills of matte painters like the wonderful Peter Ellenshaw. I still think the results were far more lavish and appealing than what they do these days, but that's just me, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment